I have a confession to make. I am
haunted and taunted by Komla Dumor’s ghost. Literally.
Try much as I can, I still go to bed
in fear. But… trust me, I didn’t kill him. I can bet you I didn’t. I don’t even
know London, except the one at Kumasi. Two years after his death, I am
beginning to have a hint of why his ghost still haunts and taunts me. I will
tell you but… for your ears only. Shhhh!…
I used to love football as a kid. I
used to play actually. I could literally smuggle my way out of home to play
with friends. Guess what. I was the captain!
I barely did score goals but my
flawless role on the attacking front almost made me indispensable in the team.
I would have rivalled Messi today, trust me. Hehe!
I quite remember during one eventful
match, our opponents had a corner kick in the dying minutes of the first half
of the game. It was a tough match; a goalless one as of then.
Upon the cross, I gently nudged an
opponent in the 18 yard. It was just a gentle push, I vividly remember. But… he
fell. Technically speaking, he dived. To my disappointment, he was awarded a
penalty kick. As though that wasn’t enough, I was shown the exit - red
card!
“Oh boss!” I muttered to the
referee. “It wasn’t intentional. It was just a push. Besides, he is my friend.
You can ask him.”
The decision had already been taken.
There was no turning back.
Anytime I cast my mind back to that
red card incident, the ghost haunting mystery makes much sense to me. Indeed,
that red card experience gives me a hint of my sleepless nights.
Life will show each of us a red
card… sooner or later. Life will show us the exit one day… like it did to Komla
Dumor.
Before life shows you a red card,
would you have lived your life to the utmost? Would you have exploited every
ability inside of you? Before you exit, would you have enjoyed this game of
life well enough? Would you have played your heart out?
Komla stood for excellence. He stood
for passion. He stood for life. If you live this life without passion, you
indeed will live it with frustration.
If all you live for is just to
survive the next morning, then your life is indeed being lived out of
frustration… and not passion.
I am haunted and taunted because I
want to live more than a life of frustration. I want to live passion. I want to
be passion! Like Komla, I want to live a life that doesn’t begin at 40.
If you
still think life begins at 40, then you might as well wait till 60 or even 70!
Before life tells you to leave the
pitch, would you have helped the sick and poor enough?
Would your life have
been an inspiration to the broken-hearted? Would you have lifted the fallen and
comforted the bereaved? Would your life be recounted as one that just existed…
and not lived?
Life is too short to have a tall
list of excuses. There’s no time! A red card can be shown anytime… even just a
minute into the game. But… before that, would have loved enough?
Would you have
pampered yourself enough? Would you have laughed at yourself hard enough?
Live to love. Love to live. Live passionately
today as though it was your last. Love passionately today as though it was your
first. Enjoy every minute of it.
Celebrate your successes. Tease
yourself when you fail but be sure to comfort yourself, too.
Don’t entrust your
happiness into anyone’s hands. Be happy. Choose to be happy. Happiness is a
choice… not a wish.
Explore this life. Explore your
talents, like Komla did. Take the risk of investing in yourself.
Believe in
yourself. Believe in your dreams. No one would ever believe in you any more
than how much you believe in yourself.
Carry the weight of your dreams on
your own instead of expecting others to help you carry it. You are on your own!
Before life slams the red card in
your face, would you have lived as a good citizen? Would you have been honest
enough? Would your tribute be true to say you were patriotic? Above all, before
life sends you out of this game, would your name be in the Book of Life?
Dream all you can. Do all you can.
That is what Komla Dumor stood for… and that is why his memory (ghost) gives me
sleepless nights. I know he haunts and taunts you, too.
As long as you have a burning
desire to live (and not just exist), I know you may have such nightmarish
dreams, too. For now, an alarm clock doesn’t wake us up. These sweet,
nightmarish dreams do. Chai!
I pray the Police spare me for this
‘ugly’ confession. Have a great weekend friends!
The writer is a playwright and
the Chief Scribe of Scribe Communications, a writing company in Accra.
(www.scribecommltd.com)
-
-
Source: Kobina Ansah

Comments